Saturday, December 12, 2009

Staggering Technological Advances

This week the Millar household has seen great technological progress. (as I've mentioned before, I am always very far behind with technology.) Firstly, I upgraded my internet connection to 20Mb, and second, I got a wireless connection.

I notice - because I've been obsessively checking - that the speed varies a lot. The fastest it's been is 18Mb but sometimes it's only 10Mb. That seems OK anyway.

It does strike me that I probably have no real use for this. My previous connection was 2Mb. That didn't cause me any problems. It was fast enough for everything I did. What do I need this extra speed for? Nothing, as far as I can see. But perhaps it will be useful in the future. Maybe for downloading my robot-cyber-fantasy-bride, or something like that, when technology has advanced some more.

Though the speeded up connection didn't cause any problems, the wireless connection wasn't so easy. I told my internet provider I was a Mac user. They said they'd sent me their router, but don't come complaining to them if it didn't work. Fine. I appreciate your terrific customer service.

But it wasn't too hard to connect. There was a tricky moment, where things hovered in the balance, and my computer seemed to be about to give up the attempt, but the Mac airport assistant rode to the rescue. Now I have this wireless connection, I can move around. But I expect I'll never move anywhere, and will remain sitting at the desk in the exact same spot I always sit in.

I was pleased of having some new technology to play with just two nights ago, when I was woken by an extremely troubling dream. It was so troubling I had to get out of bed. This very rarely happens. I'm not prone to bad dreams. But this was so bad I got up and sat at my desk, feeling tired, but not really wanting to go back to sleep in case I got the dream again. I wonder why that happened? I don't remember being quite so troubled by a dream before.

I don't often remember my dreams. Although only a few weeks ago I did have an had a erotic dream so vivid that I woke up quite astonished, thinking, wow, I wish I could dream like that more often.

This graphic sex dream involved a woman I know, but have never had any romantic involvement with. Later I was sort of tempted to mention it to her, but decided against it. Mentioning it might seem creepy. Or is that a mistake? Might it be a compliment? Is there any sort of established etiquette? I might be having an autistic moment here. It's probably the most obvious thing in the world that you shouldn't mention things like that. But I sort of wanted to.

Probably I just shouldn't mention it. If you are socially incompetent - and I'm fairly socially incompetent - it's best to err on the side of caution. Probably friends don't want to hear you've been dreaming about them. But these tricky social problems will melt away when the robot-cyber-fantasy-brides get here.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, it would have been a little creepy mentioning your erotic dreams with the object of said dreams so staying in the safe zone was a good move in my oppinion.

    As for the wireless connection, you will not be able to achieve the maximum speed your internet service provider states you have because that's the maximum achievable speed and because the maximum theoretical speed achieved is 54Mbps (for the 802.11g standard).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably better to err on the side of caution with the erotic dream. However, I'm curious about the terrifying dream. Was it a warning against technological advancement?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only way mentioning a sex dream to its subject is a good idea is if you think she'd be turned on and want to recreate it. If you do this, you run the risk of destroying the friendship entirely. Is it worth it to you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Martin from a fellow Buffy addict.

    I'd concur with the other advice given here about the erotic dream. Best to keep those to yourself. And hope to have plenty more. What was the scary one about? Anything useful for a book?

    Just wanna say I'm two thirds through Lonely Werewolf Girl and adore it. I love your characters and find Kalix to be eminently and (rather worringly) relatable. I dunno what that says about me but there you go. Bring on the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's it, I'm phoning her up right away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd want to hear about a great dream like that. I would find it flattering.

    As for the Wi Fi -- mine goes out in a stiff wind. The IT fellow says the connection gets lost in the trees. I like that idea though it is annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:42 am

    Hey, I reckon just tell her. You can laugh it off as one of those riduculous dreams if not reciprocated. OR, say blimey, I didn't realise you had those dreams too!!! You won't know unless you blag.

    Happy dreams mister M.

    Cheers,

    Saiz
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:35 pm

    God, don't tell her now. It would make her feel so uncomfortable. If you ever end up in a romantic situation with this woman in the future, tell her then. That would be sexy.

    ReplyDelete