Thursday, April 12, 2007

Carter USM / Kurt Vonnegut

I’m off to see Carter USM playing their re-union gig in Brixton in November. (Unless I am too agoraphobic to make it, always a possibility.) I saw Carter quite a lot in years gone by, though it’s ten years since they played together. So I’m looking forward to seeing Les and Jim onstage again.

I haven’t been to the Brixton Academy for years. In fact, it’s quite a long time since I’ve been to a gig anywhere.

I’m sad to hear of the death of Kurt Vonnegut. He was a great writer and I really owed him a lot in terms of inspiration. I particularly loved Breakfast of Champions. I read that before I had anything published, and after reading it, I thought about writing in rather a different way than I had before. Slaughterhouse Five is another brilliant novel.

Currently reading : Somerset Maugham - Collected Short Stories Volume Four. Another of my favourite authors. Satisfyingly unfashionable.

Sabrina the Teenage Witch - Santa’s little Helper. Dammit I miss Sabrina the Teenage Witch on TV.

4 comments:

  1. I'm missing Kurt Vonnegut too, and hoping he is enjoying heaven...

    But taking the literary tone down a little - who would win in a fight? Sabrina or Buffy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That'a a good question. You'd have to give Sabrina a chance, because she was quite a powerful witch, and could make a lot of things happen. But she wasn't the sort of person who enjoyed fighting. Buffy, of course, was a savage fighter, I think she'd do whatever was neccessary to win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:13 am

    Sabrina would win. She has Salam who could distract Buffy while Sabrina thinks up a suitable spell.

    Against Lara none of them would stand a chance. She could take them both on at once. Hmm...think I'd pay to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But let us not forget, Buffy has Willow. Surely Willow is worth two of Salem? I wonder what odds Mox would give?

    ReplyDelete