Thursday, December 21, 2006

Buffy - Band Candy

I was watching TV yesterday afternoon and came across Band Candy on Sky. I was unable to resist watching it again, even though I've seen it often. Band Candy, written by Jane Espenson, is one of my favourite Buffy episodes. It's so funny, it's a such a good story and there's so much going on.



Buffy catches Giles kissing her mother!

Buffy is worrying about her SATs, she's been secretly visiting the newly-returned Angel, and she's in trouble with her mother and Giles. Xander and Willow are playing footsie under the desk, though Xander and Willow are meant to be in relationships with Cordelia and Oz. The Mayor - one of the greatest Buffy villains - has hatched an evil plan which is being carried out by Mr Trick, another excellent bad guy.



Principal Snyder wants to be one of the gang

They arrange for Principal Snyder to give his pupils chocolate to sell. Ostensibly this is to raise money for the school band, but in reality it causes all the adults in town to start acting like teenagers. This leads to great scenes of craziness in the Bronze, where previously responsible citizens get up on stage to sing Louie Louie. Principal Snyder acts like a kid and wants to be one of the gang.

Buffy's Watcher Giles goes off the rails, reverts to his bad old youthful ways, talks of getting a band together, and hooks up with Buffy's mum. They rob a shop and then have sex on the bonnet of a police car! It's all great. (It was some time till Buffy found out that Giles and her mum actually did have sex, and that was in another good episode, featuring a suicidal Jonathan.)

Yes, Band Candy was a brilliant episode. I didn't regret watching it again. In fact, I felt quite inspired to get on with writing. I've often found Buffy the Vampire Slayer to be very inspiring.



Xander and Willow are playing footsie




Giles and Joyce move on to the police car

3 comments:

  1. This is definitely a fantastic episode of Buffy and the one where she finds out about Giles and her mother is almost as good.

    Still can't believe there's no more Buffy.

    Just finished reading Good Fairies for the first time in years. I lost my old copy a few years ago so it was great to get reacquainted with Heather and Morag. First discovered Alby in 1987 or so and have read everything you've written. Enjoyed them all but Alby, Lux and Good Fairies are definite favourites. I hope there's something new on its way when you finish the latest Thraxas although have just started the first of those so have something to be getting on with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still suffering from no more Buffy.

    I should have a new book out this year - Lonely Werewolf Girl - though I'm not sure exactly when that will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking forward to the new book I shall pester my local borders staff until it's out. Also best buffy ep ever is 'Hush'.

    ReplyDelete