Saturday, December 13, 2008

Kalix. Werwölfin von London

Lonely Werewolf Girl will be published in Germany in June 2009, by Fischer. Fischer is a big publisher, I'm looking forward to their edition coming out. Here it is at the publisher's website and at amazon.de. The title in German will be Kalix. Werwölfin von London. Which, you will notice, contains an umlaut. Umlauts are always cool. It's a shame that in English, there is never the opportunity to put two little dots over a letter.

Under different publishers, The Good Fairies of New York has been continually in print in Germany since it first came out, many years ago. And all eight Thraxas books were published in German too. So I have to say I'm all in favour of the German reading public at this moment.

London has been dreadfully cold. There's nothing else to do except lie in a nice hot bath reading Steel Fist Riku and whatever other manga comes to hand. Leaving the house will soon be impossible apart from the occasional dash to the shops to buy hobnobs. If the temperature drops any further this may no longer be possible, and I'll need people to send me supplies on a sled pulled by huskies, or maybe an emergency airlift.

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:17 am

    That is a sexy cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even the word umlaut is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:01 am

    Fantastic! I'm looking forward to read this...
    Ahhhh, yeah. For me as a german native speaker, UMLAUTE are a bit difficult to handle... 'Cause nearly nobody (foreign) knows how to spell them... ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:35 am

    I have a friend who owns two gigantic Alaskan Malamutes. I could get him to lend them to you for sled pulling purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stop hogging the cold! As a person from northern Sweden in exile (in southern Sweden) I am really disappointed with the lack of snow. There is plenty of rain so if it only were a little bit colder we could have snow everywhere!

    Umlauts are pretty common here so I'm not all that impressed, but it's a really nice cover and I hope it will be translated to swedish in the future! (I think a cousin of mine would appreciate it)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking of "Umlaute". I (native German) wonder why they are called "Umlaute" and not rather something like "Ümläute".

    *grabs Duden dictionary*

    Ah! "Umlaut" is language's analogy to a detour.

    Nothing's stranger than one's native language...

    And now boys, it's time for that dance i teached you!
    ÄÄÖÜöiäöüÄöüäÄuäuüiööüäÜÖÖÄööiüÄÄ

    Damn! Some "i" sneaked in! They allways do that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that cover!

    But as far as sympathy with your cold goes, I am afraid you may well have to look elsewhere. I live in the USA Midwest and we are at -14 F and falling here tonight. That is, I think, -29 C. At any rate this is COLD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arrgghhhh -29C sounds intolerably cold. Surely people must just keel over and die? I couldn't stand it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like all the aumlat responses. Or Umlaute, if you insist. It's a shame we don't have them in English. Though I cöüld dö them if I had to!

    Anita, I like the idea of having my sled pulled by these two giant mamalukes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:37 am

    I'll get right on it! The bonus of having dogs that are the roughly the size of polar bears is that in an emergency they will also keep you warm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:47 am

    Martin - in case you don't blog before Christmas - I hope you have a suitably festive crumble - and all the Buffy and anime you can read ..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Christmas, Martin (and fellow werewolf enthusiasts!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wishing you a good Christmas, Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:26 am

    Such a good book!!!!

    I'm re-reading the good fairies of new york right now, god I love this. I just need to stop giving it away, and make people buy their own god damn copies.

    I discussed you with Neil Gaiman when I met him. It's the only thing I could think to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Better late than never, but I have finally decided that when my motorcycle comes out of storage in the spring, she'll be re-christened Kalix.

    ReplyDelete